Thursday, March 12, 2015

Blendkit 2015: Reading Reflection, Chapter 3- Blended Assessments of Learning

I have to say I was quite riveted to this week's reading selection.  It dealt with different types of assessments that can be used successfully in a Blended Learning course.  Before I began reading, I studied the focus questions and really tried to answer them first so that my answers wouldn't be biased based on what I learned from the reading.  I wanted to see if after reading the chapter my mindset would change.  My mind changed dramatically!  After reading, I made the following decisions (as of now, anyway):

1. Since my planned course deals with new teacher trainings, K-12 the course will be set up as a completion course as opposed to a pass/fail type course.
2. The main objective of the course is to build an ed tech culture (i.e. using ed tech to expect  regular communication, collaboration, creativity, and critical thinking skills of the students) in the teacher's classroom.  The assessments, then, would be geared toward "checking for understanding" and would be used to assess whether any re-teaching is necessary-- a check on ourselves as ed tech coaches, so to speak.
3. In my mind, this idea lends itself to assessments that are more project based as opposed to multiple choice formatted quizzes.  I would like to see the learned principles implemented in the classroom setting, so these assessments could/would be in the form of writing reflections, image galleries, video journaling, etc.)
4.  It's necessary to have some traditional type quizzes, as well.  These would be in an online format and would be informal.  In other words, I wouldn't set a numerical grade for them.  For these assessments I like the idea of creating curriculum scenarios: a certain concept needs to be taught in your class, so how can technology best be integrated to meet the needs of the learning standard(s)?  The teacher (the blended course learner), then, would reflect on the scenario to show his or her level of  mastery.  This method would allow for the learning to be applied to each individual teacher's classroom setting.
5. Lastly,I will definitely incorporate the "One Sentence Summary".  This concept, in my opinion, is absolutely genius!  What a way to incorporate higher level thinking that will translate into higher level learning.  The learner answers 7 questions based on material content (who, does what, to whom/what, when, where, why, and how) and then must put those answers into a single sentence.

After reading Chapter 3 I am truly inspired to begin planning my assessments!

No comments:

Post a Comment