Tuesday, March 3, 2015

Blendkit 2015 Chapter 2 Reading Reaction: Blended Interactions

This week's Blendkit 2015 reading selection focused on different engagement theories to think about when designing a blended course.  There were four learning interaction models that were introduced: Atelier Learning, Curatorial Learning, Network Administrator, and Concierge Learning.  As I read, I found value in each of the styles.  However, when thinking about the vision I have for my own blended course (District wide new teacher trainings, K-12) the concierge and curator styles resonated most with me.

As I read about the Concierge model, I was struck by the idea that the educator is sort of opening the door to ideas that the learner may not know about.  My mind flashed to the example of a veteran teacher of a traditional classroom shouting out, "Powerpoint!" when asked to share their best presentation tool.  This answer isn't necessarily wrong,  but perhaps there are better choices out there to which the educator can lead the learner.   So, I can definitely relate to the Concierge model and feel that ideas within the model would be used in my course.

Then I continued my reading and learned more about the Curator model.  This model focuses on the learner and the freedom to explore learning on their own terms.  I interpreted the model to suggest that the educator's role is to provide a means by which the learner can explore on their own terms, making the learning process more meaningful.  This idea is exactly the approach we try to take as ed tech coaches in our district.  We feel we need to guide them in a particular direction, but the experience should be pertinent to the individual teacher's curriculum needs, goals, and desires.

The last half of the reading dealt with intrinsic motivation-- giving value to the learner's thoughts and ideas.  I think this concept is extremely valuable and important.  I feel like most people want to be heard; they want their thoughts/ideas to be validated.  As I continue to plan my course I will certainly take the time to consider appropriate avenues for providing valuable feedback and interaction for each learner's ideas.


No comments:

Post a Comment